Have Dog Health Questions? Ask a Dog Vet Online.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy who has a rash in his groin! This could have occurred for a number of reasons including trauma or even a contact allergy dermatitis due to a reaction to grasses/pollens. Hopefully you have given it a good wash with a dog shampoo. Once you have patted the area dry gently - you can apply a little neosporin to it twice daily for 3 - 4 days, so long as there aren't any open wounds here. This should be enough to settle this rash down for your boy. If he is licking or irritating the area excessively over the next couple of days however, you will need to get an e-collar for him.Best of luck with your boy - please just reply if you have any further questions.Kind regards,Dr Edwards
Dr. Edwards,http://afterhourswebsolutions.com/mike/Those are pictures of Zebo, and the area of the rash. I have been washing the rash usually about twice a day and making sure it's dried. Plus when I see him going for it, I catch his attention to stop. It sort of has me concerned but at this moment and probably for at least a week or two, I won't have any up front money to bring him in to a vet. So I would like to get some clarifications on your thoughts. I don't mind paying for a couple rounds of questions, so I know which way I should go with this.Thanks for your time.Mike
Couple quick things.Is this bacterial or fungal? I guess my concern is whether anything 'internal' could cause something like this that I should be more worried about. Or is it just "he's got a rash"...Another words, it's not a failing liver or kidney or something that could possibly be causing this? Or am I just paranoid? He's literally my best friend and I want to take care of him when he needs it, he's all I got. He's never had anything like this before at all. I keep him pretty clean, groom him all the time for ticks, etc. At first I was panic stricken because I thought it may have been the infamous "Bulls eyes" bite, from a tick. But when I looked closer, I didn't see the internal ring, and was somewhat relieved, but still. I am concerned.So final thoughts/question.Is there anything underlying that may be causing this and I should me concerned about? I agree about getting him to a Vet, but I have to wait til funds are available. And I am concerned whether that gap of time could just be causing more damage.Let me know your final thoughtsThanks so much for your time Dr. Edwards, it's truly appreciated.Mike