CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Is there somthing I can give my dog to knock him out so i can

Is there somthing I can give my dog to knock him out so i can pull porcupine quills out of his nose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When were they embedded?

CriticalCareVet :

How is he acting now?

Customer:

this morning

CriticalCareVet :

For a sedative property. options veterinarian often consider would include:

1) Acepromazine (LINK)

2) Valium (LINK)

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer:

he of course wont let me near his nose he has gotten a few before and i have pulled them and he has pulled a couple himself but this time there is quite a few probably 20

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - your veterinarian can use stronger sedation if needed.

Customer:

I have trazodone and diphenhydramine hydrochloride both are 50 mg he weighs about 80 pounds

CriticalCareVet :

Diphenhydramine is only Benadryl and unlikely to help.

CriticalCareVet :

You can ask your vet about Trazodone - but not a commonly used drug in dogs.

Customer:

anything you can suggest I can get from the drug store?

CriticalCareVet :

No - as that would be dangerous if someone could purchase something OTC - imagine the abuse potential!

Customer:

yes I understand that trazodone is a perscribed sleeping pill thats why I thought it might work valium

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck and please click ACCPET.

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.