Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has a tick embedded on the skin. It has swelled up a

My dog has a tick embedded on the skin. It has swelled up a little, how can I remove it. It is situated 2 inches above the eye. Thank You.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

This is what you can do:
1- Grab the body of the tick using a napkin and gently pull her away from your dog.
2- While holding on to the body of the tick as described above, take the tweezers and go on the ticks mouth as close as possible to the skin and pull it off.
3- Clean area with an antimicrobial soap and apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2 times a day for the next 5-7 days.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
As long as you do not squeeze the body very hard it will not rupture, holding the mouth part with the tweezer will not cause to rupture either.