Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dogs gums are black. What could this be?

My dog's gums turned black. She is drinking a lot more water as well. She has been on antibiotics for a while for a bacteria in her bladder that would not leave her. Her last culture showed the bacteria was gone. What could this be?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you have a chance to look at her gums before and they were not black, right?
2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not like this. It looks like someone painted them black. She was licking her paws a lot, I checked them to see if there was something there. I found nothing so I decided to look into her mouth. Her gums have never looked like this before. She is also drinking a lot more water than usual.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Black color gums can be normal pigment but when it changes from pink to black it could be a sign of poor oxygenation which is a major concern as it could be as a result of heart or lung disease, red blood cell disorders, etc.
When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign of either an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.
To determine which of the above is the underlying cause, your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), x-rays and urinalysis as initial screening test. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home in this case. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. I would highly recommend you have her checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.