Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has been losing the use of his back legs. He is shaking

My dog has been losing the use of his back legs. He is shaking when he is walking, and can not hold him self up for long, especially when he is trying to eat and when he is tring to go to the bathroom. We've taken him to the vet twice, but neither knew what was happening. X-rays were normal. His blood work showed he was on the low-normal side of his red blood cell cound and his protien count. The vets told us to give him a multi-vitamin, an anti-inflammatory an to wait. He doesnt seem to getting better, and tonight it took a lot of coaxing for him to eat. Do you have any other ideas of what to do to help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Could your vet elicit any pain in his rear limbs or back?

Any vomiting or regurgitation?

What is his diet normally like?

Any swellings in the rear limbs?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was no pain in the back limbs, or in his neck joint. No vomiting at all. He usually eats 3 cups of Blue Buffalo dog food a day, 1 1/2 morning and night. There is no swelling that the vet could see, or that we noticed. He does seems to have a stiffer gait, cannot run without falling, and loses his back legs more thanhis front. his disposition is still okay, but he seems to be a little depressed, but not in pain in any ways.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Of which parts exactly did your vet take x-rays?

What anti-inflammatory is he on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The took spinal x-rays of the back part of his spine, as well as hips and legs. The anti -inflammatory is prednisone once a day.

They also did a lyme disease test on him.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry-- anti-inflammatory is previcox 57 mg
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. There may be an impingement on the spinal cord that you most likely wouldn't see on an x-ray. There are some neurologic disorders that affect the nerve conduction of from the spinal cord that dogs can get. Think multiple sclerosis in humans; somewhere along those lines. A neurologic infection, such as tick borne diseases, fungal diseases and protozoal diseases, are possible. Rarely, a parasitic worm can have aberrant migration to the brain or spinal cord. That is stretching it, though. A congenital abnormality with the cerebellum or other part of the brain is also possible. Your vet can try running some serologic tests for fungal, protozoal and tick borne diseases. Clindamycin and doxycycline may help as empiric therapy. In all honesty, though, if he is not getting better and nothing shows up on bloodwork or x-rays, it may be a good idea to have your vet refer you to a veterinary neurologist. In some of these cases, an MRI or CT scan and a spinal tap may be needed for a complete diagnosis. A myelogram (dye contrast injected into the spinal column) can show an impingement on the spinal cord. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience