Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

My dachshund of 12 years and 6 mo. has been having sinus problems.

My dachshund of 12 years and 6 mo. has been having sinus problems. I had his teeth cleaned but it has not gotten better. At the beginning he sneezed and snorted as if he was trying to pull the mucus down his throat. Now he sneezes in fits of sneezes as if something is in his nostrils.
He seems to have difficulty breathing from his nose.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 2 years ago.

Dr Aaron :

hello this is Dr. Aaron

Customer:

Hello this is marita

Dr Aaron :

Nice to meet you.

Dr Aaron :

does Dach have any nasal discharge?

Dr Aaron :

Is he eating/drinking normally?

Customer:

yes.

Dr Aaron :

yes he has nasal discharge or yes to eating/drinking normally (sorry)

Customer:

both

Dr Aaron :

what is the color/consistency of the nasal discharge?

Dr Aaron :

how long has the nasal discharge been present? Has it changed at all?

Customer:

clear as far as I can tell. He licks it so fast.

Dr Aaron :

Did your vet expect that following the dental cleaning the sneezing would cease?

Customer:

Yes. she thought it was from his teeth. They needed cleaning. It is the first time they have ever been cleaned.

Dr Aaron :

was there any evidence of swelling below the eyes or did she mention the possibility of an tooth root abscess?

Customer:

No.

Dr Aaron :

how long ago did the sneezing/nasal issues start?

Customer:

About the first of January.

Dr Aaron :

would you mind watching a video on youtube if I send you a link to see if this is a similar type of behavior to what Dach is doing?

Customer:

No. I don't mind. That is, if there is no extra charge for it.

Dr Aaron :

no charge, here's the link...let me know if it's similar:

Dr Aaron :

any luck watching the clip?

Customer:

Yes. I responded with my last answer. Didn't you read it?

Dr Aaron :

I didnt get anything.

Customer:

Sorry. I am just trying to find an answer to help my dog.

Dr Aaron :

definitely understandable...that's what I am wanting as well.

Customer:

I said that he acted just like that until a few days ago. and now he is sneezing more and acting like it is hard to breathe through his nose.

Dr Aaron :

ok thank you for the additional information.

Dr Aaron :

how frequently does it occur?

Dr Aaron :

once a minute/once an hour/ once a day?

Dr Aaron :

is there something that seems to trigger it? (going outside/eating/playing/candles/etc)

Customer:

every three or four hours apart.

Dr Aaron :

have you tried anything to see if it will make it better (such as gently rubbing his throat)?

Customer:

I don't think it is from going outside because when I came home at four oclock he was just laying on his bed and I knelt down and was talking to him and he started his sneezing fit. it was like when he changed his position and maybe when he lifted his nose.

Customer:

No.

Dr Aaron :

Ok. Thank you for the additional information.

Dr Aaron :

Sneezing can be caused by a number of things:

Dr Aaron :

such as neoplasia (cancer) in the sinus cavity, foreign material in the nasal passages, upper respiratory infections, benign irritations, etc.

Customer:

OK

Dr Aaron :

it can be a frustrating thing to diagnose because even if you are wanting to/willing to perform expensive diagnostics (such as a scope passed into the nasal passages), biopsy, etc.

Dr Aaron :

There are a few different routes you can take:

Customer:

which is?

Dr Aaron :

Sometimes, prior to internal medicine, I will recommend trying different oral medications such as antibiotics/antihistamines/low doses of steroids

Customer:

What do you mean by internal medicine?

Dr Aaron :

internal medicine veterinarians are individuals that undergo additional training to help with difficult cases and usually have access to advanced diagnostics such as scopes/ultrasounds/ct scan/mri etc

Customer:

I see. So do you think that what his problem is related to allergies?

Dr Aaron :

It is possible that it is related to allergies.

Dr Aaron :

over the past few years my cat has started sneezing multiple times daily (sneezing fits) but it does not otherwise affect her life so I have not addressed it.

Customer:

OK. well I guess I will just wait it out and see if it improves. Thank you for your imput.

Dr Aaron :

you're very welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

No.

Dr Aaron :

Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Have a good night.

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people