CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog recently started getting seizures when he gets excited what does this mean,is there

Customer Question

my dog recently started getting seizures when he gets excited what does this mean,is there a cure?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Are these true, grand mal seizures?

CriticalCareVet :

Example here:

JACUSTOMER-b1lppdjj- :

2 to 3 second seizures

CriticalCareVet :

How often?

JACUSTOMER-b1lppdjj- :

when he gets excited

CriticalCareVet :

In this case, unfortunately there is a major concern when an older dog suddenly starts having seizures.

A younger dog, often 1-6 years of age is more likely to have epilepsy.

When an older dog such as this starts having seizures at this older age, we worry about systemic disease or unfortunately even cancer such as a brain tumor.

Even if just with excitement.

For cases such as this, (and what is most commonly recommended) we typically recommend a general examination and starting with basic testing such as routine bloodwork.

If you wanted to be more proactive, similar to people, a MRI would be discussed.

Some dogs can seizure once and then never again.

BUT - - if the seizures continue - and worsen - medical therapy, including anti-convulsant medication is recommended - phenobarbital (LINK HERE) is the most common medication although there are other drugs such as keppra (LINK HERE) and potassium bromide (LINK HERE) which can be considered.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Find me any time if needed:

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.