Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

Why is my Bichon Frise black nose turning to brown? How do I change it back, nutrients etc

Customer Question

Why is my Bichon Frise black nose turning to brown? How do I change it back, nutrients etc?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

It is likely this change is a fundamental change in the pigment cells of the skin of his nose and will not be able to be darkened i.e it is a permanent change.

Pigment change can also be caused by skin tumours which would be unexpected in a young dog like Chico but you should mention it at your next vet exam and sooner if any lumps, bumps or sore patches develop.

But I suspect it is a similar change to hair going grey in that it is just a natural alteration in the level of melanin in the skin cells of the nostril which is lightening the appearance of his nose. There is nothing that is known to encourage the skin to darken I am afraid.

I hope this answer is of some benefit.

Good luck and best wishes

Dr Dan Makin