Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My dog is vomiting and has blood for poop what is wrong with

My dog is vomiting and has blood for poop what is wrong with him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Sorry he is not feeling well. Can you please tell me how long this has been going on and what he is vomiting?

Customer:

it just started earlier today

dogdoc4u :

OK, and what is he vomiting?

Customer:

just his stomach acid

dogdoc4u :

So no blood in his vomitus? How is he feeling?

dogdoc4u :

How many times has he vomited?

Customer:

he has vomited at least 5 times he feels weak looks sad and he has pooped pure blood at least 3 times i know of

dogdoc4u :

My biggest concern would be hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE)

dogdoc4u :

This is very treatable if he is brought to a veterinary clinic sooner rather then later for stabilization

dogdoc4u :

This means iv fluids and iv antibiotics

dogdoc4u :

But if it is not treated, the gi bleeding can continue and make him sicker/ weaker

dogdoc4u :

I see this most in little dogs

Customer:

ok he has an appointment early saturday morning but im worried that isnt soon enough

dogdoc4u :

You are right, this cannot wait until then

dogdoc4u :

Do you have a veterinary er in your area?

dogdoc4u :

Little dogs don't have the reserves that big dogs do and can get weaker so much quicker

Customer:

not sure but Im going to look cause im really worried

dogdoc4u :

I can help if you like

Customer:

yes please

dogdoc4u :

Usually you can call your local veterinary clinic and they will list what to do in case of emergency if closed

dogdoc4u :

You can call while I look in your area...where are you located?

Customer:

springfield ohio

dogdoc4u :

OK, have you called your veterinary clinic?

Customer:

yes and they had me waiting until satuday

dogdoc4u :

No, I mean calling them now after hours to see what their voice mail says as far as what to do in case of an emergency. Oftentimes they will list who to contact

dogdoc4u :

I am trying to search, my computer is being a bit slow tonight...

Customer:

im calling now to see what it says to do

dogdoc4u :

OK, I will keep on trying my search

dogdoc4u :

You are pretty close to Dayton, no?

dogdoc4u :

Dayton Emergency Veterinary Clinic

dogdoc4u :
Customer:

yes

dogdoc4u :

Will that work?

dogdoc4u :

Are you able to see the address/ phone number?

Customer:

need address

dogdoc4u :

OK, can you see I cut and pasted it on the left of your screen if you scroll up a bit?

dogdoc4u :

2714 Springboro West

dogdoc4u : (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Customer:

yes Thank You

dogdoc4u :

OK, good luck to you both

dogdoc4u :

It sounds like he is in good hands, you will take good care of him tonight

dogdoc4u :

Always recommend bringing a notepad to take notes while the doctor talks to you as you might feel overhwelmed

Customer:

Thanks will do

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
I wanted to check on your and your little Pom. How is he doing?