Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Can I give my dog some penicillin to fight the infection she

Customer Question

Can I give my dog some penicillin to fight the infection she currently has?

My 15yr old 4 .5 lb toy poodle has bad teeth ( 1/2 were removed) and an oral infection that is stopping her from eating. She is shaking and has often wakes up with puss in her eyes. She had a sore on her head that grew, eating away a 1.5" diameter of skin. We have been using a spray of gentamicin sulfate an it appears the skin is returning. We realize it is about time to put her down but were hoping we could give her some penicillin that we have to help her in the time before we see the vet. Thank you, Richard.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Richard, please tell me the type and what the strength of the penicillin is that you have - it's usually in IU (international units) or mg (milligrams).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. This is a human prescription from Novapharm for 250 mg tablets. I was considering crushing a quarter tablet, mixing it with water and quirting it into her mouth. I just noticed a new sore where another mole had fallen off. She is getting very weak. Greatly appreciate your help. Note:I have a very good friend that owns the Kona Seaspray resort near you. RICHARD
Give Trixie 5mg/lb of body weight twice daily. That's only about 1/10 of a pill for her. Place your pill inside a plastic baggy and pound it into powder. Then divide it into ten equal parts and give one part twice daily. If you wish, penicillin is so safe you could just do what you were going to do - crush a 1/4 tab, suspend in water and squirt it into her.

I used to live in Kona but now mold in the rain of Kea'au - near Hilo. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.