Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog hurt his dew claw. It appears that the Covering has

My dog hurt his dew claw. It appears that the Covering has separated from the quick and is somewhat bloody. He is limping and is shaking. I assume he is in pain. Should I take him to the hospital? What can I do to ease his pain?

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Yes, he will really need to get into the vet. Your are better not to give anything for pain, because if you give a drug like aspirin, it is going to block the vet from being able to give any better anti-inflammatory drug (we don't mix these types of medications).

Dr. Andy :

In addition, huge predisposition for a nail bed infection, so well worth getting the better supportive care now to get it addressed.

Customer:

I really think he is in pain, does this qualify as an emergency to take him to the hospital today?

Dr. Andy :

Often, the broekn nail piece must be removed (often with a little sedation), and a vet will prescribe pain medication and/or anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics.

Dr. Andy :

I think so.

Dr. Andy :

Well worth the visit now.

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept”. My family greatly appreciates it. Or, let me know if there is anything else I may add to try and be more helpful or informative.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

Perfect, that is what I needed to know. Thank you so much! Have a great rest of your day.