Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello - I would be glad to help you with your question. How long ago did he eat the potato? Is he vomiting?
Ate potato about 1 hr ago. He is not vomiting.
Thanks for the additional information.
Potatoes are not toxic to dogs at all and are actually very digestible. Even if he ate the potato raw and the half piece without chewing I really would not expect any problems. If the potato was swallowed in one piece his stomach acid will begin to digest and break it down. I would not expect the potato to get stuck inside of his stomach or intestines either as it should be digested before it moves into the intestines. The fact that the potato is raw and not cooked should not affect him either. Overall the potato should not be a problem as this is a fairly easy to digest food item though some dogs will develop some mild vomiting or diarrhea since he is most likely not used to eating potatoes this large. This symptoms would be very unlikely though I would definitely monitor him for this. Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any other questions.
What can my dog take for an allergic reaction, which is what he seems to be having?
For an allergic reaction - he can take Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. A potato would be an unlikely cause of an allergic reaction but I have seen dogs react to just about anything therefore is possible.