Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience

My dog eye is red and irritated. Can I use visine?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It's best that you don't. The two problems with using a vasoconstrictor such as Visine is that it will mask a potentially dangerous problem and reduce tear production. A red and irritated eye in a young Schnauzer may result from a traumatically induced corneal abrasion and/or ulcer which should be ruled in or out by staining the cornea with fluoroscein at Pixie's vet and then treated with an opthalmic antibiotic to prevent secondary infection if present. Of course minor irritations and allergic conjunctivitis are possible etiologies as well. In those cases simple cleansing of the eye with water and saline should suffice. As a general rule, the "red eye" shouldn't be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. If it persists for more than 24 hours it's best to have it looked at. While simple injury, irritants and allergic reactions are most likely, "red eyes" can also be found secondary to pathology inside the globe of the eye - glaucoma and uveitis, e.g. - unlikely in a 2 year old but possible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think my wife mentioned that this reaction followed the dog being shampooed yesterday using Natur Vet Herbal Flea & Tic Shampoo. It's possible that this got into her eyes and could be the cause of the irritation. Is it correct that water and saline are the best immediate treatment; and, if the condition persists, she should be taken to our vet?

Ah! Thank you. Yes, a corneal burn from the shampoo is likely. Water and saline is the best immediate treatment. Healing should be rapid, however. If Pixie is still symptomatic - the eye remains red and/or she exhibits blepherospasm ("squinting") 36 hours post-shampooing, please have the eye looked at. We would usually dispense a opthalmic antibiotic ointment or drop for use until the cornea healed itself within a few days. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience