EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..
63977546

My German Shepherd had been sick with vomiting and diarrhea. We

My German Shepherd had been sick with vomiting and diarrhea.
We saw the Vet she had a temp of 103.
We got two meds. and one shot too settle her stomach.
Everything got better except the bowel eliminations.
They are still soft, formed but soft.
She has taken Metronidazole.
Two separate RX's.
Changed her food to Venison and Potato.
She is feeling great and alert etc. But the bowel thing is still going on.
Before this episode she always had good and solid B.M.
She is 7 yrs. old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  EmergencyVets replied 2 years ago.

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

How many days ago did this first start ? and what area of the USA do you live in ?

Customer:

The first time was about one month ago.

Customer:

California (Southern)

EmergencyVets :

Did your vet ever send out a fecal or bloodwork on your girl?

Customer:

yes and the feedback I got was "it is normal"

EmergencyVets :

OK.. So your vet left the diagnosis open, and since reatment was going well elected to just do another round of Metronidazole..

Customer:

yes

EmergencyVets :

As far as the loose stools go you can begin to feed 2 tbsp of canned pumpikn with each meal it is a great source of soluble and insoluble fiber to help dogs with both diarrhea and constipation. You can also give Immodium - (loperamide 2 mg capsules) - one capsule twice daily for no more than three days.. Too much Immodium can cause constipation..

Customer:

I already treid the the pumpkin.

EmergencyVets :

Her diet may do better with a prescription food for awhile that is made for these circumstances - they would have to be purchased at your vets office.. Purina EN or Iams Low Rssidue or Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat work well alogn with also Hills ID

EmergencyVets :

Has she lost any weight ?

Customer:

I tried that pumpkin ND METAMUCIL AND NO HER WGT. IS STABLE.

Customer:

OOPS sorry abouthe caps.

Customer:

She had RC low fat gastrointestinal

EmergencyVets :

Dogs with persistent loose stools and normal initial bloodwork andd fecal - would then need more advanced testing to find out what is wrong.. Simplest is a dietary change to one of the diets above.. If that does not work then I would recommend a different blood test that is called a GI panel - it checks Cobalamin levels, Folate levels, and TLI and would tell your vet if there is a malabsorptive or maldigestive type disease present.. I have seen some GSD with inflammtory bowel diseases that respond well to both Metronidazole and Prednisone but require a biospy for the diagnosis.. This is why I would first try the diet change to a prescription diet.. If no change in two weeks then go to the blood panel..

EmergencyVets :

How long did she stay on the RCVD low fat ?

Customer:

The low fat gastrointestinall whe hs been on for two yrs.

EmergencyVets :

So he has had a long standing history of GI issues?

Customer:

Well I am on the RC venison an potato hypoallergenic and I am to keep her on it for 3 1/2 wks. This begins her 3rd week. When I first adopted her 3 yrs ago . She is allergfic to chicken of any kind.

EmergencyVets :

OK.. Have you tried immodium before ? I prefer Endosorb all natural anti-diarrheals but they are not an over the counter human medication.. I would use the Endosrob and Metronidazole in my Great Dane when she would have flare ups due to GI sensititvity..

Customer:

No. So I need an RX for endosorb

EmergencyVets :

With the history of allergies she may too be one that benefits from Metronidazole Endosroba nd even short course Prednisone.. (If you want to try medical management and treating symptomatically before any further extensive testing.. ) A vitamin B complex shot or B12 if your vet has it is often beneficial too ...

Customer:

okay is that about it?

EmergencyVets :

NO you can purchase it on Amazon .com see link.. It just comes with 500 tablets :) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YF9QY/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=159378837&ref=pd_sl_384pleqtis_e

Customer:

I was hoping for a miracle fix.

Customer:

Thank you I will try that.

Customer:

Do I request metro and the entrobol together. Is that how it comes?

EmergencyVets :

Endosorb is a miracle fix.. I have taken it myself and sent it with a friend to China.. It will fix the soft stools if that is your main concern.. As far as the underlying disease if it is all allergy based vs inflammatory bowel disease adnd dietary sensititvity.. The ultimate fix is Diet, Metronidazole, Endosorb - and then if still soft you can do a short course of Prenisone.. That will stop 95% of my diarrhea cases..

Customer:

Then I will try it.

EmergencyVets :

The endosorb is over the counter on Amazon.. The metronidzole is only by Prescription through your vet along with the Prednisone..

EmergencyVets :

Great.. Keep me posted.. I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions before hitting the green accept button, otherwise I appreciate your positive feedback and wish you the best !! Dr Chad .

Customer:

Thank you for your help and time.

EmergencyVets, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..