Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog will throw up her undigested food 3 hours after eating what can I do to help her?

my dog will throw up her undigested food 3 hours after eating what can I do to help her? She is also eating her poop constantly along with my house plants.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she losing weight?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Eating the plants and poop has been going on about 3-4 months. The vomiting undigested food has been about 1 1/2 months (since we switched to the all natural.

No she is not loosing weight.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Vomiting undigested food is called regurgitation. Common causes for regurgitation are intestinal parasites, esophageal disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, inflammation), etc. This is what you can do:
1- Raise the feeding bowl to a small stool to force her to eat slower.
2- Consider feeding smaller amounts more frequent. In other words, divide her meals to 4-6 times a day.
3- Consider getting her dewormed. You can buy Fenbendazole (panacur) and give it once a day at label dose for 3 days. Repeat after 3 weeks.
4- Dogs are not strict carnivores, eating plants can be a sign of a lack of fiber in their diet. Consider adding baby carrots, broccoli and cauliflower to her diet.
5- Eating stool is a sign of boredom, hiding evidence, bad behavior, etc. There is a product called "Forbid." Add it to her food and will not change the taste of the food but it will change the taste of the feces hopefully to stop her from eating it when she does.
6- If after doing the above there is no improvement, consider having her checked by your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does Forbid work, our local vet also said it was an option but that it only worked about 50% of the time and since we have 2 dogs we would have to use it on both of them.

The regurgitation is not only the undigested food it also includes a phlegm type liquid that smells like stool and looks like urine. Is this due to eating the stool?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I agree with your veterinarian it does not work in every dog, but, worth trying.

The vomit is directly related to what has been eaten. Yes, if she has been eating feces then the vomit will have a very foul odor.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.