Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

I fed my dog beets last night. Can that make his urine red

I fed my dog beets last night. Can that make his urine red or could it be something more serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Hello there,

How many beets did the dog eat?

Is he straining to urinate?

How many times has the urine looked red?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He ate about 1/8 cup last night. He didnt appear to be straining but has been lethargic since yesterday, is walking strange like something is bothering him near his hind legs (almost like a limp) and has been licking his penis more often than usual. His urine was red this morning when I took him out for the first time and he hasnt been out since.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Betacyanin in beets can make the urine red in some people and animals that ingest them but does not cause medical problems. The red color should resolve within 12-24 hours after ingestion. If the dog is straining and lethargic something else is likely going on. Straining and red urine can indicate bladder infection, bladder stones, cystitis, trauma, kidney problems, toxin ingestion and some types of anemia. If there is not a normal amount of urine being produced or the straining continues I would have the dog examined today if possible. Beet ingestion can cause temporary red urine but not the other problems.