Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

Can dogs safely eat nuts and seeds?

Can dogs safely eat nuts and seeds?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

What types of nuts/ seeds are you referring and what type of quantity?

Customer :

Sesame seeds, and our 6 month old dauschound also likes almonds, and pumpkin seeds.

dogdoc4u :

I would really limit them if you can, specifically almonds

Customer :

about a handful...but my question ius a genral one... I need to know iunde rwhat conditons I can feed him seeds and nuts..

dogdoc4u :

They are safe but a few at a time, a handful is too much

Customer :

so, basically, no.

dogdoc4u :

A Daschund should have about 200-300 kcal/day

dogdoc4u :

And a handful would be almost half their daily requirements

Customer :

so 3 or 4 pumpkin seeds

dogdoc4u :

Not for safety reasons, just for calorie issues

dogdoc4u :

Yes, correct

Customer :

no almoids whasoever.

Customer :

sorry--almonds

Customer :

whatsoever

Customer :

and what about pistachios?

dogdoc4u :

Almonds can have some side effects in dogs

dogdoc4u :

Pistachios should be ok

dogdoc4u :

But again in small quantities

Customer :

Im assuming 3-7 pistachios...

Customer :

youve been very helpful... do aprpeciate it... one last question howoever...our dog Rexi also loves cheese.

dogdoc4u :

I would say less than five

dogdoc4u :

Again, high in fat

dogdoc4u :

Cheese is safe but fatty

Customer :

and all other fats such as butter and ice cream

dogdoc4u :

Carrots, green beans, ice cubes

Customer :

Im afraid of ice cubes due to the choking hazard.

dogdoc4u :

There is a treat called a zuke that is only 2-3 calories per treat, all organic ingredients

Customer :

curreently we feed rexi wellness brand

Customer :

organic food

dogdoc4u :

Most dogs will chew the ice cubes, it is a trial and error thing

dogdoc4u :

I like the zukes (mini) because they are low calorie and yummy

Customer :

but he is a puppy...isnb;lt his throat too small?

dogdoc4u :

They only need one or two to get the taste

Customer :

Ok, so cheese is fine, like a slice or two that we usually put on bread for pourselves.

Customer :

right?

dogdoc4u :

Puppies like to chew so I would give him an ice cube and see how he handles it while you are monitoring

dogdoc4u :

That, again is a lot of cheese

dogdoc4u :

Smaller then your nail for a treat

Customer :

wow...

Customer :

wll so far hes not fat...but I tsake your advice sereiously...and will be very carefully monitoring hsi fat intake...

dogdoc4u :

Yes, Daschunds have a tendency to be overweight and we want to minimize that with the back issues they can have

dogdoc4u :

If he is still a puppy, best to start implementing the restriction now

dogdoc4u :

Easier to prevent the begging for more later if he is overweight and you need to restrict :)

Customer :

do you have advice for him and his dry food...which he does not eat except rarely...

dogdoc4u :

What else are you offering him?

Customer :

onl;y wet food and sorry to say weve been spoiling him with human food again, the cheese, the nuts, rice spagetthi.

dogdoc4u :

Yes, if I had those things I would not eat the dry food either

dogdoc4u :

:)

Customer :

the wellness brand canned wet food

Customer :

jajaja

Customer :

well youve got a point doc.

Customer :

(:

dogdoc4u :

Yes, sorry

dogdoc4u :

If he already knows he can get what he wants, it is time for tough love.

dogdoc4u :

It might take a few days of him not eating much but it is worth it in the end

Customer :

its jsut that hye whines and whines for the huamn food...and let me tell you...that the whinign breaks oru eharts... its is truly a hewasrt breakign whine.

dogdoc4u :

You just need to know he can go quite some time without eating and not break down with the goodies

dogdoc4u :

Yes, and the wine creates what he wants...

Customer :

Ok.... will do...but this aint gonna be easy.

dogdoc4u :

I understand, you are reinforcing the wine by rewarding it

dogdoc4u :

So no guilt about it, just get up and walk away

Customer :

OK...

Customer :

how abotu v eggies...can he have carrots and spinach?

Customer :

cilantro?

dogdoc4u :

Because the energy of guilt shows weakness and he will push you harder

dogdoc4u :

Veggies are great, green beans and carrots

dogdoc4u :

Spinach is fine, some dogs won't eat it

Customer :

ok very good...yuve been great doc... we want to shower him more than once evey two weeks...without sopa..is that fine?

Customer :

this will be poiurt last quesatiuon... thank you so much again... hope we can talk again sometime....

dogdoc4u :

That is fine, using an oatmeal-based shampoo preferably (for pets)

dogdoc4u :

Remember, tough love!

Customer :

is there a way we can contqact only you for future chats?

dogdoc4u :

I have two Chi's and they would weigh 20 pounds if I didn't do it!

dogdoc4u :

Yes, if you have additional questions after you ACCEPT, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer :

Iv e got the dogdoc4u

Customer :

Thank you Dr. Altman! (: (: --Adam XXXXXX and Lourdes

41075.7166028588
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.