YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years general medicine, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

My dog has not pooped in 3 days now. He has not been eating

My dog has not pooped in 3 days now. He has not been eating too. I also notice that the last time he tried to poop, mucus came out. I thought at first that it was some kind of parasite. I brought him to the vet yesterday, showed him the mucus that came out of my dog. He prescribed some kind of Anti-biotic and pro-biotic. He could not examine him further because my dog is aggressive.Today my dog has threw up a lot of clear liquid with some kind of grit-like twice. He is always laying down but not necessarily sleeping. Can you help me? I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 5 years ago.

YourPetVet :

Hello, It sounds as though the cause of the diarrhea has now lead to further irritation of the intestine

YourPetVet :

This is very common because intestines are a very tempermental type of organ. Once the intestines are irritated, the problem can go in either or both directions leading to vomiting and or diarrhea or vice versa.

YourPetVet :

Treatment is based on first finding any underlying cause or influence. then treating the intestines appropriately

YourPetVet :

My recommendation is to have Bo to the vet as soon as you can, preferably to an emergency one if available.

Customer:

Can I give him a sedative first before I take him so the vet can do a more thorough exam on him? The vet gave me Acepromazine 25mg.

YourPetVet :

Yes! you can give him the Acepromazine. It will make it easier for the vet to examine him and less stressful for Bo

Customer:

Is it possible that he has an intestinal obstruction? If so, is it expensive? Will he undergo surgery? I am worried about the expenses.

YourPetVet :

Yes things like intestinal obstruction including bloat can be expensive but also life threatening.

Customer:

He doesn't seem to be bloated tho. I always look at his stomach. They loo normal to me. Anyway, thank you so much. I will bring him to the vet ASAP. My dog's safety comes first. I will find ways financially.

YourPetVet :

you're welcome. Thanks for your question. Aggressive and early intervention work best on intestines. All the best