CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Can a dog be given zofran for vomitting?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When did the vomiting start?

CriticalCareVet :

Is the stool normal?

Customer:

2 days ago. now he's pooping blood and throwing up worms also.

Customer:

are you there? i really need help

CriticalCareVet :

I am here.

CriticalCareVet :

Has he been vaccinated?

Customer:

he had one set but not two

CriticalCareVet :

Here are my concerns.

CriticalCareVet :

Can Zofran be given?

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - it can.

CriticalCareVet :

Zofran (LINK HERE)

CriticalCareVet :

But I worry these signs mean more...

CriticalCareVet :

A young puppy with signs of stomach upset as you listed above would most likely be sick from infectious causes, inflammatory causes, or eat something they shouldnt

In a young puppy - I am VERY worried about a specific infectious cause - parvovirus...

Click here to read more on Parvovirus: CLICK HERE

If your family veterinarian is not open and available for evaluation, I would use this link (HERE) to find an ER in your area for evaluation today.

Customer:

how much zofran i have 4mg pills i take for nausea. and the vet has tested him positive for parvo. him and his siblings two of which are in vet now

CriticalCareVet :

In dogs, the usual dose is 0.05 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.1 to 1.0 mg/kg) orally every 12 to 24 hours.

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we are giving tama flu, pedialyte, pepto bismol, and shots of pennicillin. all ordered by vet

That can help, but ideally IV fluids and hospitalization are needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea we have two in already this one was doing better but took a turn for unknown reasons now its got blood pouring out it rear and vomits all it drinks and its oral meds we cant even get a vet till tomorrow cause of where we live was hoping for some drastic measure ideas to keep it alive through the night
weight: normal;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">If your family veterinarian is not open and available for evaluation, I would use this link (HERE or HERE) to find an ER in your area for evaluation today.