Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Can I give human antibiotics to my dog? She has a UTI and I

Can I give human antibiotics to my dog? She has a UTI and I have a full dose of Keflex. I can not afford to go to the Vet right now. She is 100 pounds, a Mastif.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Keflex (cephalexin) is a reasonable broad spectrum antibiotic for canine UTI. The dose is 30-40mg/kg given every 8-12 hours for 10-14 days. I would initiate therapy at 2000mg every 12 hours in your young 10 month old. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. It's best to have her urine checked 5 days post-cessation of therapy to insure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. It's impossible to know that otherwise.