Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog keeps slipping on my new hardwood floors. We tried boots

Customer Question

My dog keeps slipping on my new hardwood floors. We tried boots and socks, but the other dogs have a foot fetish and pull them off her feet. I have placed throw rugs around, but I want her to be able to move freely abouth the house. I also trimmed the hair between her feet, but she still slides. Is there a good anti-slip solution for my 70 lb boxer? If I would have known she would slip so much, I would have not had hardwood floors put in. THank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Brittain's situation. Is the problem her slipping on them as she moves normally? Is it mainly a problem as she cuts corners or stops suddenly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Dr. Bruce!

It happens almost every time she walks on them. Sometimes she walks normally, but it is rare. I have her on a canine multi-vitamin and hip support pill too. She does fine outside in the backyard, but slips as soon as she gets on the wood floors (and even the wood patio). I tried carrying her, but she weighs more than half of me. Hahah. I have throw rugs everywhere but it limits where she can go. If I had money, I would rip up the dang wood and put down something else. Unfortunately my bank account will not permit that solution, so I need something else. :-) I have been researching products for a while, but all I find are mixed reviews on wax and sprays and bad reviews on adhesive pads. Please help. :-) I got her when she was a puppy and I was only 19. We have been together for nine years and I cannot bear to see her so panicked. She is definitely this girl's best friend!

Thanks!
Beaudrea

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Ok. One of the things that may be a part of the problem is she's walking on her nails. A simple thing to try to see if it will help is to give her a good nail trim. This may help the situation. If she's tensing up on the hard wood and walking more on her nails than the pads, she'll have less traction. Have your vet do the nail trim so they can get them as short as possible.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did have her nails trimmed and had the hair trimmed in between her paws. She still slips and slides.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
How long have you had the hardwood floors again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I moved into the new place in August last year. I had tile in my apartment before and she did pretty good. I had no idea wood floors would be so different. She slips and falls almost every day. I rescued two chihuahua puppies, whos mother got killed when they were three weeks old, and they do not have problems with the flooring at all. I worked at an animal hospital before, but I do not remeber encountering this problem.

Thank you so much!

Beaudrea

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
So she's been slipping and falling for almost 6 months now. She is moving outside as normal as always?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pretty much the same movement as usual. She has a little stiffness in the morning but after she runs around outside the stiffness disappears and she looks like a puppy rather than a nine year old. Once she comes inside and sees the floor, she panics. She tries to run across it and it just makes it worse. She looks like a cartoon character when the character runs but does not go anywhere. Then she falls.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Ok. With her being a little stiff in the morning, she may be getting some early arthritis issues. What you could do to try and help this is some medications through your vet to see if they help. Here is a link that goes over a great number of the possible medication options.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=587

As far as the hardwood floor situation, at this time, one option would be to get very large carpet remnants and place them in the areas that are most fequently traveled. These can be laid down to give much bigger areas of better traction. It may not be fashionably the most hip, but it may be very effective.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was leaning towards arthritis problems as well since she is getting to be that age. I guess the OTC pills I have her on are not cutting it. I had more rugs at one time, but the chihuahua puppies decided to "potty train" on them. Hahah. I will have to invest in more. I'm more concerned about my baby than in fashion. :-) One more thing, Have you had any success with wax/foot spray/pads? I will get her in to see the vet, but I want to make it as easy as possible for her to manuever.

THanks!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I would say that the wax / foot spray / pads aren't something I've heard a lot of good things about from clients. The nice thing is if you use carpet remnants, you can cycle through them if the "potty training" continues!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hahah! Yes, that is true! Puppy training is much harder with the two chihuahuas (Ginger and Dublin) than it was with Brittain. I will definitely get my hands on some carpet remnants. If I would have known that wood floring would be so tough for Britt, I would not have chosen them. Thank you for all of the advice. I appreciate it. :-)

Beaudrea
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Very glad to be of help tonight! Take care!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! You too!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
.