CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog ate efferdent plus (approx 8 tablets). What should i

My dog ate efferdent plus (approx 8 tablets). What should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When did this happen?

CriticalCareVet :

How is your dog acting now?

Customer:

Happened while I was at work. He seems fine now. But there were about 6-7 piles of vomit in my living room when I walked in

CriticalCareVet :

That would be what I would expect - gastrointestinal signs,.

Customer:

Probably 3-4 hours ago

Customer:

These tablets have bleach and other harmful chemicals, right? What else should I do?

CriticalCareVet :

Bleach is not toxic in regards XXXXX XXXXX damage, it is more stomach upset as you are seeing.

CriticalCareVet :

Common therapies to consider for this ingestion include:

1) A bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken).

2) With diarrhea, higher fiber diets such as Hill’s W/D or even adding a fiber source such as bran or canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to the normal diet to increase the fiber content to help firm up the stool.

3) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE

Customer:

Okay. So he isn't poisoned to the point where he'll need a vet?

CriticalCareVet :

Correct - this is not a life threatening posions.

CriticalCareVet :

*poison

Customer:

Okay....phew

CriticalCareVet :

We have to watch for vomiting - as that can lead to dehydration - and that should be evaluated by a vet.

CriticalCareVet :

But otherwise this is not a kidney toxin for example.

CriticalCareVet :

I hope this is helpful!!!

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

Customer:

Seems like he is done vomiting. At least I think he is. He may eat grass once I take him outside though.

CriticalCareVet :

Sometimes in these cases, even if the cause is just an upset stomach, it is hard to give them medications by mouth as they can vomit that back up before it has a chance to be absorbed and work.

For this reason, if the vomiting continues, sometimes even a short veterinary visit, subcutaneous fluids for hydration and injections for nausea can be enough to stop the cycle of vomiting, help them feel better, and then give you a chance to continue oral medications at home and supportive care to help resolve the issue.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist