Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can Miralax be used for dog constipation, and if so, what would

Can Miralax be used for dog constipation, and if so, what would be the proper dosage for a 13 year-old, 12-lb toy poodle in generally good health
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener, yes, can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above, have her checked by a veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I suppose I should add that I may be being alarmist. She does have bowel movements, it is only that the volume seems to have fallen off (I've only had her for three weeks although I've known her all her life.) Am I just being an alarmist parent?
If she is having a bowel movement then she is not constipated. As far as the volume, feces production or amount is directly related to food consumption. If she is not producing a lot of feces or has decreased the amount, then she is not eating enough which could be a sign of an underlying medical problem. In that case, I would have her checked by your family veterinarian to determine why she is not eating as much, miralax is not going to help to increase the volume of feces, it is a stool softener.