Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Can I use Systane ultra lubricant eye drops for my dog with

Customer Question

Can I use Systane ultra lubricant eye drops for my dog with dry eye? Or any other kind of drops made for people?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I have had really good luck in my patients with early stage dry eye using Genteal Gel Drops which is an over the counter human dry eye drop. Use these drops 2-6x daily. If this doesn't work other OTC drops won't either and likely the prescription eye drops will be needed. In some cases prescription is all that works and a higher % of the drug is needed if the initial prescription drops didn't work. Give the Genteal a try but if it is not helping ask your vet about a stronger prescription drop.

Dr. DAn
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So would it be ok to use the systane until I get to the pharmacy to get the other?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
I have not personally used or recommended it but the ingredients seem safe so yes you can.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Great. She has actually had dry eye for years. In that case do you think I should stick with the perscription drops? Im worried because her eyes are starting to have a bluish look deep in her pupil and she acts like she cant walk up the stairs. She does have a hurt leg. So Im not sure if that is why she wont go up the stairs or the other.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
I think you can also use both so add the OTC to the prescription drops. Prescription drops as directed and OTC drops 1-2 times per day between the prescription drops for extra lubricatiog. Bluing of the eye however is often due to some thing with the internal fluid of the eye or the lens. If your vet hasn't looked in the eye for awhile I think it is time for a recheck.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. I just had her to the vet the other day and told them about the bluing. They said to just keep using the drops but gave me a new type. It is tacrolimus 0.02% 5 gram opth. oint. Do you think that makes sense or would you advise getting a second opinion?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
I would guess that they were correct, tacrolimus is a typical move when dry eye is not under control. The bluing of the cornea can also be due to corneal swelling if the dry eye is not under control. It is NEVER wrong to get a second opinion but what they say and did does make sense.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks a lot!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck!