aggieervet
aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian for 3 years.

My dog has been vomiting for 3 days and now will not eat. He

My dog has been vomiting for 3 days and now will not eat. He is still drinking water but not a lot. He seems listless today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  aggieervet replied 2 years ago.

aggieervet :

i'm a licensed vet and would to help you

aggieervet :

Does your dog have any previous medical problems or current medications?

aggieervet :

Is he having diarrhea too, or just vomiting

aggieervet :

Any chance he could have eaten something he wasn't suppose to - toy, trash, socks, blanket, medications/toxins, etc?

Customer:

i haven't been able to see his stool

Customer:

nothing that i have noticed out of the ordinary....trash has not been disturbed

Customer:

he has rotten smelling gas which is not normal, his type of food is the same and only notice when we change his dogfoof

aggieervet :

given that he has been vomiting for three days with no improvment and now is not eating at all (worsening) with decreased acitivty I think it is best to take your dog to the local ER for an exam and likely have some tests done (radiographs +/- bloodwork).

If that is not an option for you, then here are a few things you can try now at home, but again taking him to be seen by a vet is likely your best option at this point since not eating at all - you should remove food and water for 12-24 hours.

If the vomiting stops then you can try the following (if not then you should take your pet to your local vet or ER clinic)

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D or Iams Low Residue.

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled chicken, hamburger or turkey. Make sure it is boiled to get rid of any skin, fat, and bones that might be present. Offer the meat with mixture of boiled rice – 1/3 meat and 2/3 rice.

Initially only offer small amounts at a time –one bite every 2-3 hours as long as doing well then slowly increase the amount of food. Similarly, only offer your pet small amounts of water every few hours (so they don’t gorge and puke after drinking too much).

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet over 3-5 days

2) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) 10mg tablets – the dose is 5mg for every 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
You can also give pepto bismal. Give 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds of body weight every 8 hours.

I cannot stress enough that if this is not getting better, or you are noticing loss of appetite, lethargy, continued vomiting, worse signs of discomfort, or blood in the stool, then those would be indications to see your veterinarian for evaluation.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you - or you have other questions.

Customer:

i actually mixed oil with some chicken to try and clean out his bowl yesterday

aggieervet :

Do not add any more oil....this will only irritate things more.

Customer:

okay...thank you

aggieervet :

your welcome and good luck with him!

aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian for 3 years.