Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

Is it OK to use Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder on a dog that

Is it OK to use Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder on a dog that is chewing his paws? Active ingredient is menthol 1%.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 2 years ago.

Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron

Customer:

Hello.

Dr Aaron :

I can definitely understand your concerns with your dog

Dr Aaron :

How much benadryl do you give your dog / how frequently / does it seem to help?

Customer:

I give it infrequently, and have used it as my vet has said. But I'm afraid to give it to him too often.

Customer:

That's why I thought maybe the foot powder would at least alleviate the itching.

Dr Aaron :

has your vet talked to you about the likely cause of the itching?

Customer:

We've tried sprinkling on his pads and then adding a sock over it so he doesn't chew, but I am just not sure about the safety.

Customer:

Often the vet says environmental allergy.

Customer:

But often it is accompanied by yeast.

Customer:

We try to keep his hair clipped short between his pads to help with that.

Dr Aaron :

thank you for the additional information.

Dr Aaron :

It is true that the most common cause of itching/licking with dogs is secondary to allergies (either food/environmental allergies)

Dr Aaron :

Most often the allergies cause the itchiness...dogs will lick their feet...break the skin barrier..and then cause an infection (often times bacterial +/- yeast)

Dr Aaron :

Ideally the best option moving forward would be to determine what / if anything he is allergic to and then treat the underlying problem.

Customer:

Yes, I believe that is the case with my OES. We've tried switching foods, and it doesn't appear to be a food allergy.

Dr Aaron :

Have you used a hypoallergenic food purchased from your vet?

Dr Aaron :

(if you haven't then you cannot rule out a food allergy)

Customer:

If we assume it may be environmental (grass, etc.) I thought perhaps the gold bond would at least help the itching.

Dr Aaron :

sure.

Dr Aaron :

You can use gold bond powder. If your dog ingests it the most it would cause is an upset stomach.

Customer:

I have tried many foods - some with single source protein. Dogs are now on honest kitchen - fish formula.

Dr Aaron :

I would probably first use Benadryl or another antihistiamine.

Dr Aaron :

(~25 % over-the-counter diets have something in them that isn't on the label...for example, chicken/beef/corn, etc)

Dr Aaron :

because of this...we cant use these types of diets to determine if a food allergy is present

Dr Aaron :

I have numerous patients that use antihistamines almost year around. They are very safe....the only side effect you can sometimes see is mild lethargy...if this occurs then you just have to decrease the dose...there are no long term side effects.

Dr Aaron :

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer:

60-65 pounds.

Dr Aaron :

thank you.

Dr Aaron :

If you want to use benadryl I would give 4 tablets / capsules every 8-12 hours (that is 4 x 25 mg tablets/capsules)

Customer:

OK. Thanks. I just didn't like the idea of keeping him medicated.

Dr Aaron :

dogs can get a lot more benadryl than people can...if I take 1-->i'm sleepy for the rest of the day...if your dog got 1 pill..it wouldn't do anything.

Customer:

Was hoping something topical could help.

Dr Aaron :

You can try Clairitin as well. I would recommend 1 tablet twice daily

Dr Aaron :

you definitely can try gold bond powder...but it may cause a stomach upset. There is some powder that might be more helpful it is called Neopredef powder. It can be purchased from your vet.

Customer:

OK, our vet also said Chlortrimeton

Dr Aaron :

you can use that as well.

Customer:

Oh, good - Neopredef - I will ask for that. Is it medicated or are there any side effects?

Dr Aaron :

it is medicated...it contains an antibiotic and a low dose of steroids. minimal side effects if used in short spurts...because of the steroids I wouldn't use chronically.

Dr Aaron :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Dr Aaron :

If not please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Thank you.

Customer:

No, that's fine. Thanks. I don't want to use steroids, but I appreciate the response.

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people