Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Can human prozac be given to dogs and if so at what dosage

Yes, we use Prozac in dogs for behavior disorders.

The dose we use is 1-2 mg per kg once daily.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my dof suffers from quite severe fear aggression and extreme anxiety will prozac calm him down and if so how should it be administered ??
The Prozac can help with this, but I would also contact a trainer to go over some tips with you after watching him and seeing what his triggers are. Prozac alone is not likely to completely cure this, it's going to take training and meds.

If you want to just start the Prozac and see what response you get, you can give it orally at the dose I mentioned once daily. Give it a couple weeks and see what kind of response you get.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what side effects should i watch for ??
The main side effects we see are mild lethargy, decreased appetite, GI signs (vomiting/ diarrhea) and seizures have been reported. Overall it's a very safe medication, but those are the reported side effects that have been seen in dogs.

If you notice them, then I would stop the medication.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how long should medication be continued once we see the desired behavioural changes in the dog and how should it be discontiued ??
If you see improvement, then I would give it for a month or two then wean down to every other day then twice weekly then stop it as long as the desired effects remain. In some dogs, it needs to be given lifelong.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if given lifelong are there any blood tests that need to be routinely performed ??
With any lifelong meds, it's ideal to check kidney and liver function yearly or every 6 months. With Prozac, yearly would be fine as it's not hard on the liver and kidneys like some other meds.