Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner

How many mg of aspirin can a 70lb dog have per day?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Maggie :

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie, I am going to try to answer your question today.

Dr. Maggie :

An appropriate dosage of aspirin for a 70 lb dog would be two of the 80 mg buffered baby aspirin by mouth every 12-24 hours.

Dr. Maggie :

That being said, long term aspirin usage isn't recommended in dogs because it can cause bleeding issues (GI ulcers, etc.)

Dr. Maggie :

Is your dog on this for arthritis issues?

Customer : She took quite a tumble down some stairs due to early arthritis and I think she is bruised on glucosamine for arthritis but just trying to help with what I think is bruising from the fall
Dr. Maggie :

Very well - short term aspirin should be just fine as long as the only other medication she is on is glucosamine.

Dr. Maggie :

You can try dosing her every 12 hours for the next few days.

Dr. Maggie :

If this isn't improving in a few days, it would probably be a good diea to get her checked out to make sure there isn't something else going on.

Dr. Maggie :

Any other questions I can help you with today?

Customer : Thank you so much I thought so just wanted to check in with someone
Dr. Maggie :

You are very welcome. If you found this information helpful, please click the green 'Accept' button so I can get compensated for my time.

Dr. Maggie :

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer : Us she has apps with dr but couldn't get in Monday a week from now
Dr. Maggie :

Excellent - sounds like you are on top of things.

Dr. Maggie :

Hopefully she improves before then!

Customer : Yes but this arthritis thing is so nt good checking into stem cell research with vet in Arizona,
Dr. Maggie :

Have you looked into adequan injections for her?

Dr. Maggie :

Take a look at the link above to learn more about this medication. I am a big fan of using this in dogs and cats with severe arthritis issues.

Dr. Maggie :

It works well without the side effects of long term NSAIDs.

Customer : I will I should have been a vet instead of an executive in the fashion industry!
Dr. Maggie :

Well that would have been a change in directions for sure!

Dr. Maggie :

Here is one more link that I think you should take a look at:

Dr. Maggie :

This one goes into great detail about most of the different treatment options available for dogs with osteoarhritis.

Dr. Maggie :

osteoarthritis*

Dr. Maggie :

Customer : For sure this dog is healthy smart well trained in great shape doing swimming therapy and this kills me
Dr. Maggie :

Well - take a look at those links and I think you will see some additional things can be done to help with her arthritis.

Dr. Maggie :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

Dr. Maggie :

If you found this information helpful, please click the green 'Accept' button so I can get compensated for my time.

Dr. Maggie :

Thanks and best of luck with your dog!

I went ahead and closed the chat session as it looked like we were having some technical problems. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reply here ask them.

Otherwise, if you found this information helpful, please click the green 'Accept' button so I can get compensated for my time. Thanks and best of luck with your dog!