CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dogs eye sometimes looks like its rolling back in her head, and sometimes t

My dog's eye sometimes looks like it's rolling back in her head, and sometimes the lower lid appears to sag. It does NOT appear to be bothering her from a comfort standpoint. What could be causing this, and what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Does it look similar to this?

CriticalCareVet :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes, it does

CriticalCareVet :

Typically - and this is common - the eye is not rolling back in the head...

CriticalCareVet :

It is the illusion from the 3rd eyelid coming up.

CriticalCareVet :

Based on your history, one possible cause is a conjunctivitis (LINK HERE).

CriticalCareVet :

Options for at home care include:

- Warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

If the signs do not improve - seeing your veterinarian tomorrow to see if there are other causes such as an infection or ulcer and considering topical antibiotics would be recommended. A common example is NeoPolyGram (EXAMPLE HERE)

Customer:

What causes conjunctivitis?

CriticalCareVet :

Bacterial, viral, allergic, or inflammation.

Customer:

So, she may have gotten something in her eye that's causing an allergic reaction - or she has "A cold in her eye?"

CriticalCareVet :

Yes.

Customer:

If I treat her as outlined, how soon should I see improvement?

CriticalCareVet :

24-48 hours

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck!

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist