Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

Curcumin for dogs, what dosage would you recommend for a thirteen year old border colie wi

Curcumin for dogs, what dosage would you recommend for a thirteen year old border colie with liver cancer.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question concerning your Border Collie. I am sorry to hear about his diagnosis of liver cancer.

Dr. John :

Is he currently on Denamarin as well do you know? If not, this is probably one of the most potent liver anti-oxidants we have available, so I would make sure he is getting this.

Dr. John :

For curcumin - understand there is no research or literature that proves this would be effective in this situation. However empirical dosing for dogs is 50-250mg three times daily.

Dr. John :

What is the weight of your pet?

Customer:

No he is not on Denamarin, we have controlling his diet and providing natural supplements. He was diagnosed two year ago and is still very active. He has a lump now growing on his rib cage and I would like to try Curcumin but need to the dosage.

Dr. John :

Okay - so the empirical dosage is 50mg - 250mg three times daily. What is his weight?

Customer:

He is approximatly 40 lb

Dr. John :

Okay - so I would start somewhere in the middle of that dose range and see how he tolerates it. It can be adjusted up and down from there.

Dr. John :

Do you have any further questions?

Dr. John :

Know that it can inhibit blood clotting, so if this tumor were to start bleeding (as liver tumors can do), being on this drug can intensify the bleeding.

Dr. John :

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. John :

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated. You will be able to refer back to our discussion after hitting accept.

Understand that the purpose of this communication is to guide you in making informed decisions for your pet with recommendations of diagnostics and treatments that you can discuss with your veterinarian, as a patient-client relationship has not been established on the site (this requires a physical examination).

You can always request me through my profile (Dr. John) if you would like further assistance in the future with your pets.

Customer:

He takes a drug for blood pressure and thyroid "Synthroid .3 mg twice a day" and Amlodipine 2.5mg twice a day. Will these be ok?

Dr. John :

Yes, there wouldn't be any interactions with those medications. Just keep in mind the risk of reduced blood clotting with the drug...

Customer:

Thanks for help a will put him on 150 mg of Curcumin

Dr. John :

You are welcome, good luck with everything!

Please click the "ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated. You will be able to refer back to our discussion after hitting accept.