petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

my dog keeps scratching and is losing hair especially on her

my dog keeps scratching and is losing hair especially on her feet, tummy, and her back. what can i give her? please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 years ago.

Dr Z :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr Z :

Can you tell me how long this has been going on? Does she have any sores or other lesions?

Dr Z :

Is she on flea prevention?

Customer:

this has been going on for about a couple of weeks. is not not on any flea prevention in all the 12 years we had her this is the first time i have had probelms with her with this problem and i am worried

Dr Z :

There are various causes for a dog to itch and lose hair, but by far the most common is allergies. Dogs can be allergic to the bite of a flea such that you may not even see it, but the bite sets off an itch cycle that lasts for weeks. Other causes allergies can be dogs who develop a reaction to componants in their food or to things in the environment (like molds, pollens or dustmites), but it would not be common at all for either of those to first show up in a dog that is 12 years old.

Dr Z :

Other causes of itch in dogs can include bacteria or yeast infections, mange mites or ringworm. I would definitley have her examined by your vet so they can help to figure out the possible cause. In the meantime, it would not be harmful to give her a dose of benedryl to see if it helps.

Customer:

how much go i give her?

Dr Z :

The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg . This can be repeated two to three times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you may need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

Customer:

ok i will. my funds are so limited and I live in florida. do you know of any reasonable vets or places i can take her

Dr Z :

Here is a link to help you locate a vet in your area. http://www.localvets.com/

Dr Z :

Also if there is Petsmart in your area, they are offering a free exam. Let me send you a link to that.

Customer:

okay

Dr Z :

petsmart free visit: http://www.banfield.net/exclusiveoffer/

Dr Z :

I hope that helps. If you are in Florida, fleas definitely have to be ruled out.

Dr Z :

Good luck with her.

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

i have been using a spray called Vet's Best a Natural Health Care. have you heard of that

Dr Z :

No I am sorry, I have not.

Dr Z :

I would still suggest a vet exam though if you can. If you have no further questions, you can click on the accept and it will close out the post, and I will get compensated for my time. Have a good night.

Customer:

i will do that. thanks for your help and suggestions. i will take her to the vet. thanks and good night.