Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

Dog coughs and hacks but nothing comes out

My dog hacks and coughs and will appear to gag and spit something up, but nothing comes up. She has been doing this for a while.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Deb:

How long has Tifi been doing this? How is her appetite and thirst - normal or decreased?

Customer:

I noticed it a couple months ago but it only happened once or twice a week now its happens multiple times a day, no she eats and drinks regularly.

Dr. Deb:

Has your veterinarian ever mentioned a heart murmur? When was her last visit to the vet?

Customer:

They never checked for one, her last visit was in July.

Customer:

When I asked about the hacking I was told it could be allergies, but now it is happening more frequently.

Dr. Deb:

How is her energy level, has it decreased, and if so, how recently?

Dr. Deb:

It could be allergies, but given Tifi's age, I would be worried about heart disease, or infection.

Dr. Deb:

What regions of the country are you located? Has she been tested for heartworm disease in the past 1-year?

Customer:

She is still very energetic, I’m in the southern region, yes she was tested for heart worms and she came up positive. They gave me heart guard to give her but I ran out of it and I couldn’t afford to buy anymore.

Dr. Deb:

How long ago did she come up positive?

Dr. Deb:

At her last visit?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Deb:

How many months of Interceptor did she get?

Customer:

3

Dr. Deb:

Did they determine that there were no adult worms in her heart?

Customer:

No they never said whether the worms were adult or not.

Dr. Deb:

As the cough has increased in frequency, I would recommend a vet visit for a physical exam. She may have heart disease as a result of the heart worm disease, or she has adult heart worms growing in her heart, or she has some form of bronchitis or respiratory infection.