Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Are cashew nuts toxic to dogs? My chihuahua is about 9lbs and

Are cashew nuts toxic to dogs? My chihuahua is about 9lbs and she ate about 8 of them
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

Cashews are not toxic to dogs, but, because of their high fat content they can cause vomiting or diarrhea. If your dog develops vomiting or diarrhea, this is what you can do:

1- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can find Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. If you do not have pepcid ac leave without anything. Do not give pepto bismol.

2- No food or water for the next 8-12 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you thats a relief she is not vomiting or hasn't any diarrhea yet but I will follow your advice if she does. Another question I have, if in the future she does eat something that I know is toxic to her(she is a little piglet) sould I have ipicac on hand to induce vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
You can use hydrogen peroxide 3%; give 1 teaspoon for every 10 lbs body weight. Allow her to walk and move belly to mix peroxide with stomach content. Can be repeated every 5-10 minutes up to a total of 3 times. Do not use ipecac.
Important to remember to not induce vomiting with ingestion of sharp objects, bones, or irritants like bleach.