aggieervet
aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian for 3 years.

What is the price of a canine endoscopy

What is the price of a canine endoscopy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  aggieervet replied 2 years ago.

aggieervet :

I'm licensed vet and would like to help you

aggieervet :

the cost of endoscopy will depend on a few things -
1)the area of the country you are in
2) who is doing the endoscopy - more expensive (and better results) with an internal medicine specialist compared to a general practice vet
3) if scoping (both ends)
4) are biopsies being done
That being said you can easily expect between $1000-1800 depending on what is done

aggieervet :

Personally, I don't know that I would do a scope on my dog without further tests (especially and ultrasound) first

aggieervet :

A scope can only go so far into the intestines and may easily miss the problem (if there even is a intestinal problem) - this is fairly common an issue. we will almost always do ultrasound first as it could give us the answer and a much lower cost and even if not, it may show that a scope wont be able to reach the 'problem area' and thus will not tell us the problem

aggieervet :

Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been helpful so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed in the future if you think of something else to ask or need for further information after talking to your vet.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me specifically for your questions through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or begin your question with “For Aggieeervet”.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

I am very frustrated. This guy is having intermittant problems. He is a happy guy but I have had him to my vet several times with this grumbling stomach. It is not all of the time but I can tell he has discomfort. I would have thought that they wouldhave done an ultrasound but they jumped right to the scope. They suggested theat he may have ulcers. I have a dog with pancreatic issues and have spent alot of money on him, he is good now more through my research than the vets. I don't want to be in the same shape with this guy. I beleive that I would use a specialist for this. Next question. Do the specialists hae better equipment than the everyday clinics?

aggieervet :

most general vets don't have scopes but if they have a scope then it's likely the same 'quality' but the 'operator' may not be the same 'quality' in that they don't do as many scopes

Customer:

Thankyou, I do have one more question. The vet gave me prednisone and suggested that I use it before and after he is done showing. I am not so happy with it because he then has problems holding his urine. I am not a steroid lover in general for human or animal. What are your thoughts.

aggieervet :

showing what?

Customer:

I show this guy, he does the obedience and agility classes. Sorry.

aggieervet :

Personally, I wouldn't recommend giving steroids until you know what the problem is (unless you are unwilling/able to do further test - ultrasound, scope, etc).

aggieervet :

Has a blood panel even been done?

aggieervet :

do the signs seem worse during/after these shows or other 'stressful' situations?

Customer:

I am willing to do the tests, I have a tendency to give alittle push back. Only because I feel like they wasted alot of money and time with my other guy. When he initally got sick, it was October. It was 3 months later alot of bloodwork an ultrasound, probably about $ 3,000 later and me throwing a tantrum in the office that they decided to do the bloodwork for the pancreactic problems. Guess what, his pancreas is not working... Enzymes are cheap.

aggieervet :

so this same dog has pancreatitic insufficiency?

aggieervet :

nevermind, just realize you said other dog

aggieervet :

Has bloodwork been done on this dog and do his signs seem worse after/during these shows or other stressfull situations?

Customer:

Yep that's right. 2 Aussies different problems.

Customer:

I thought that it was stree related but he has not been shown in about a month. This last week he has been grumbly 2 days of the last 4. So I don't think that it is all stress related. That is what is making me crazy. Yes we have done bloodwork. All seems normal.

aggieervet :

you may want to consider a ACTH stimulation test to ensure he doesn';t have addisons diease too, although not very common, can be cause GI signs related to stress and will improve with steroids. ultrasound will sometimes help with suspecting this disease but can miss a lot of them

aggieervet :

so two tests I would have done (assuming full blood panel already done) would be an ultrasound and an ACTH stimluation test

aggieervet :

that's the first place I would go

aggieervet :

Customer:

Thanks so much, think I am going to contact the specialit and have the ultrasound done and new bloodwork, then ACTH.

aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian for 3 years.