Dog is vomiting mucus like white foam

My dog started vomiting white mucus like foam. What should I do?

How long has she been vomiting?
When was the last time she ate?
Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?
Does she get bones, rawhides or people food?
Does she ever eat non-food items like socks, toys, towels, etc?
Could she have gotten into anything toxic or poisonous?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has been vomiting for about 20 minutes. We only feed her doggy food. Occasionally she will eat some people food that falls on the floor but we are very careful to not let that happen. I believe she at about 2 hours ago. Her belly appears to be soft. She will pretty much eat anything she can get her hands on. We give her rawhides and I don't think she could of eaten anything poisonous.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.

The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!