Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Almost everytime my dog gets up from sleeping he is limping

Almost everytime my dog gets up from sleeping he is limping around for about 5 minutes. He does not put any pressure on it, then after about 5 minutes he is walking and running like normal. He will be 3 years old next month. We play everyday and go on walks never noticed him being injured, or twisting anything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Which limb is this occurring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Almost a month but it was not as bad at the beginning, quick little limp and then he was fine. It seemed like he just slept on it and his leg fell asleep. . It is his left rear leg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
What you are describing could be consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament), dysplastic hips and less likely (too young) we sometimes see this type of lameness with arthritis.
I would recommend you rest him during the next 4 weeks, no running or jumping. Start him on Buffered Aspirin 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. In addition, begin to supplement with Glucosamine 20mg per pound body weight a day long term; the treats with glucosamine are not enough.
If no significant improvement after doing the above, have him checked by your family veterinarian. If he does improve continue to rest him for a total of 4 weeks.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter