Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has, what looks like, a scab on her head which looks

My dog has, what looks like, a scab on her head which looks like it is on her hair . She is a cocker spaniel and as far as I am aware has not broken her skin. Obviously I am wrong. It does not wash or soften or separate at all and looks like it has grown bigger. Any ideas? Do I need to see a vet quick smart?
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
While not likely a serious skin lesion, the scab is probably hiding an infected wound - a focal pyoderma (staph infection) perhaps that is spreading outward from its original source - which may have been traumatized skin, a ruptured epidermoid cyst or a primary infection. It's best that Misty's vet remove the scab and take a look underneath and then treat accordingly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. It's quite late here now and I have to leave my laptop but I promise to reply in the morning if need be..