CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 11 yr old boxer/terrier mix just got back home on Monday

Customer Question

My 11 yr old boxer/terrier mix just got back home on Monday from being boarded for 10 days. Mon/Tues were terrible...peeing like crazy outside, drinking tons of water and not eating anything but 2 or 3 milkbones & tues night he pee'd all over the floor during the night. Wed. we took him to the vet & he had a fever so now he's on antibiotics & got blood work done. No sign of dehydration or anything. Then Thurs. the blood work came back and he has Cushing's disease (adrenal cancer). We've been feeding him chicken & rice mixed with his Blue Buffalo for seniors food since Wed. I just can't understand how we didn't know before now!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

There are times when stress can certainly exacerbate the illness, but the important fact is that this has been diagnosed.

CriticalCareVet :

Often by ACTH stimulation test.

CriticalCareVet :

An ultrasound can also help - looking at the adrenal glands.

CriticalCareVet :

Trilostane or Lysodren are the most common therapies for this.

CriticalCareVet :

To reduce the side effects you are seeing:

CriticalCareVet :

- Increased thirst / urination

CriticalCareVet :

- Panting

CriticalCareVet :

- Appetite changes at times as well

CriticalCareVet :

Did you have any specific questions I can help with?

Customer:

since his white blood cell count is very low, is that an indication that the cancer has spread? how do you know how long he may have left and should i change his diet to compensate for what he might be losing from the cancer?

CriticalCareVet :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX question - no - the white count does not indicate a spread.

CriticalCareVet :

The recommendation here would be, if not done already, an ultrasound by a radiologist - to see if the gland is large or invading the vena cava, or can be surgically removed.

Customer:

if surgery can be done will he need to be on medication/chemo the rest of his life?

CriticalCareVet :

That depends on the type of tumor this is.

CriticalCareVet :

As there is not just 1 tumor of the gland.

Customer:

it just seems to me that my vet got all that information from just the blood work and didn't even suggest surgery and that we would just have to wait it out until he may show signs that he's in pain. the waiting for your pet to die is just not a pleasant thought. since he is on antibiotics right now, I am waiting to finish that off before going for a second opinion. I'm just wondering that would be a good idea to do.

CriticalCareVet :

A good idea?

CriticalCareVet :

Get an ultrasound.

CriticalCareVet :

That will help you make decisions here

CriticalCareVet :

By a board certified radiologist.

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since I can obviously not afford a radiologist and our vet says all the blood work points to Cushings Disease...what is going to be the best diet for my 11 year old boxer/terrier. Everything on the internet is so contradicting. One says high protein low fiber. One says carrots and fruits are good others say no. We were feeding him Blue Buffalo Senior and of course all I see is don't feed them hard kibbles. When people don't have the money to call on experts how do they know what advice to follow? Very aggrevating!
There is not a specific diet for this disease - as long as it is well balanced.