How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRalston Your Own Question
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 2205
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
DrRalston is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate one raisin, should I be worried?

This answer was rated:

My dog ate one raisin, should I be worried?
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Veterinarian and will help you right away!

Good news, one raisin will not be toxic to Flint.

It seems that unlike chocolate, antifreeze, xylitol toxicity, raisin toxicity is only when there is a VERY large amount ingested or ingestion over a long period of time.

The ASPCA Poison Control Center indicates that raisins and grapes may be toxic to some dogs. The ASPCA Poison Control Center managed 140 cases of raisin or grape toxicity in the last year. Over 50 of these dogs developed symptoms ranging from vomiting to kidney failure, and 7 of these dogs died. The toxic principal causing these symptoms has yet to be identified. One specific case involved a 2 year old Australian shepherd that ingested 1 cup of raisins. The dog developed acute renal failure a few days later and died. But that was one WHOLE cup of raisins.

IF there were toxicity present first signs would likely include:
  • vomitting
  • lethargy
  • urinating frequently OR complete lack of urination
  • inappeitite

Again, one raisin for a Corgi will DEFINITELY not be a problem.


Please feel free to ask ANY follow up questions!
Thanks for your question,
Sincerely,
DrRalston

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question! If the information I have provided has been useful, please press "ACCEPT" just once, or I will not receive credit for helping you. Thanks!

Bonuses for great answers are always appreciated!

Your question will not close after pressing accept so you may ask follow up questions. There is no additional charge for questions I ask you!

For more info about me (CLICK HERE) To request me in the future you may bookmark and use that link to ask a question of me ANYTIME. OR you may place "For DrRalston" in your question.

DrRalston and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you