Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has terrible diarrhea after having puppies. She has

My dog has terrible diarrhea after having puppies. She has had this for about 72 hours. She has been treated with panacur at a Vet's direction, but only seems moderately better. She drinks and eats and seems to have energy. She is a German Shepard. There are seven puppies, three of which are gaining weight well, two gaining a little and two basically holding their own. Is there anything I can do for the diarrhea short of what I have done. There is no visible blood in the diarrhea; however, she is still spotting slightly.

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

She will really need a vet at this point.

Dr. Andy :

She can't afford to have the diarrhea and tend to the puppies as well.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, we don't know if this could be caused by intestinal parasitism, like giardia or coccidia (very common), that can risk the litter as well.

Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

Dr. Andy :

Also, I am assuming she already had x-rays before or after labor to confirm all the fetuses are out!

Dr. Andy :

If not, that is very important, as she could be getting ill as a result of a retained fetus inside of her.

Dr. Andy :

The other red flag: It has already persisted for 72 hours and its bad diarrhea!

Dr. Andy :

Also, well worth veterinary examination at this point.

Dr. Andy :

here is a bland diet recommendation:

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese

And

Cooked white rice

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including

Science Diet I/D

Dr. Andy :

But, with a bland diet, you'll need to give a calcium supplement, which your vet should carry.

Dr. Andy :

Especially, if they are nursing.

Dr. Andy :

Another thing to keep in mind: for the puppies that are not thriving as well, you could supplement their nursing with formula:

Dr. Andy :

Most popular supplement is Esbilac:

Dr. Andy :

If you stop nursing all together and move puppies on to formula, that would enable you to work with your vet about starting some drugs to help out. Flagyl (metronidazole) is great for diarrhea.

Dr. Andy :

That's about the most info I can throw out there as for options.

Dr. Andy :

Hope that info helps

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to click “accept” if you have found the responses helpful or informative.

My family greatly appreciates it. Thank you

_ _____________________________ ________________________________

If there is something I have not covered, just let me know.

After we conclude this question, you may always request me for future questions through my profile at:

The above link will lead you to my profile, where you can also bookmark my link.

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.