Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

I suspect my Golden Retriever is suffering from kidney failure.

I suspect my Golden Retriever is suffering from kidney failure. His symptoms are: extreme halitosis (extended period of time), lethargy, nausea/vomiting, lack of appetite. I will take him to the vet in the morning, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 2 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Any other symptoms -- increased water consumption? are urinations affected? and wieght loss or gain?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And how long has this been occuring?

Customer:

He doesn't really want to eat or drink much at this point, but in retrospect he has always emptied every water bowl in the house regularly. We haven't noticed any particular change in his weight, he doesn't seem to be in pain. The lack of appetite and vomiting started a little over a week ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is he able to hold water down?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Considering his age -- this might be a kidney issue or diabetes --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

or even posisbly Cushings --

Customer:

Just about everything we managed to get him to eat or drink ended up on the rug last night.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and a physical exam and blood work will help diagnose this --

Customer:

What is cushings?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and the fact that he has been vomiting since yesterday -- and not able to hold down water -- leaves you little that you can do for at home care.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Cushings is a condition of the adrenal gland -- but usually seen in more mature pets --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Diabetes and renal disease are higher on the list of differential diagnosis at 3.5 years.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I am worried about whether Shilof may be dehydrated at this tiem -- and if fluids are not help down orally -- there is not a good alternative at home.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It may be wise -- if you are able to -- to get him seen after hour or at an ER to at least give a physical exam and see if fluids are needed.

Customer:

We took him to the vet on Friday for a physical exam. He wasn't dehydrated at that point, and the physical exam was OK. We'll get him back to the vet. Thanks for your help.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- that is reassuring .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If you can get even small drops of water down -- then this would be good. Also -- be sure to check that his gums are pink, adn if you press them that they go white and quickly back to pink --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and that there is no abdominal pain when the abdoemn is massaged deeply --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.