Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

my dog has worm what can i do to get rid of them

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

Sorry to hear about your dog. What do the worms look like? There are different treatments for different worms.

Rebeccavet :

If the worms are small, white, and about the size of a piece of rice, they are tapeworms and you need to get a wormer containing the ingredient "praziquantel" to get rid of them. You can get it online or at pet stores.

Rebeccavet :

If the worms are longer in size, they may be roundworms, and you would use pyrantel to worm Hennessey.

Customer:

very light color white and pink looking worms and they are alive inside of her the wiggles on floor

Customer:

no the are bigger like the size of a pair of tweezer

Rebeccavet :

How big are they? More than an inch long? Are you seeing them in her stool, or on her hind end? Are they moving around in her skin and near her anus?

Rebeccavet :

LIke 2 inches or more?

Rebeccavet :

Where do you see them?

Customer:

they are coming out on floor near the back door whaere she was sleeping

Rebeccavet :

How do you know they are coming out of her? Do you see them in her anus, or in her stool?

Customer:

i have not look at her stool

Rebeccavet :

I don't know how big your tweezers are; are the worms longer than 2 inches?

Rebeccavet :

If they are not in her stool, how do you know they are coming from her?

Customer:

but she is constantly sliding her rear end on the floor like it is itching

Rebeccavet :

That does not mean she has worms. That usually means that she needs to have her anal glands emptied out. I am not sure why it is thought that if a dog is scooting her bottom on the ground it means she has worms; it really does not.

Customer:

and her urine have a foul stinch to it she have to drink water every ten minutes

Rebeccavet :

There really are not many worms that infect dogs that are big enough to see by the naked eye; only 3 I know of. Tapeworms which are no longer than 1/2 inch; roundworms which are as big around as spaghetti and about 2 inches long, and maggots (not worms but fly larvae) which are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Rebeccavet :

If she drinks a lot, and her urine smells bad, she may have a bladder infection, and needs antibiotics. Since you need a prescription for antibiotics, you would have to take her to her veterinarian.

Customer:

these worms was bid like earth worm but skinny not fat

Customer:

and white and had a light color

Rebeccavet :

I do not think they came from her. That does not describe a parasite that dogs get. The biggest worms you see from a dog are roundworms, which are about 2 inches long.

Rebeccavet :

So if these are longer than that,they did not come from her.

Customer:

i will do so but can a vet come to my house or i need to take her to see one

Rebeccavet :

If you think they could be roundworms, get some pyrantel from a pet store or a veterinarian.

Customer:

what is prantel

Rebeccavet :

I do not know where you are. In many places, there are vets that make housecalls. You would have to check your local directory.

Customer:

i am in wheelchair

Rebeccavet :

Pyrantel is the worm medicine for roundworms. You can but it at pet stores. It would say on the label how much to give.

Customer:

very hard to get around with her

Customer:

ok

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear that. I am in New Mexico. I only know about house call vets in my area. They are usually listed in the telephone book.

Customer:

will it kill the worms in her stomach

Customer:

and intestine

Rebeccavet :

It will kill roundworms in her intestines, if these are roundworms. If they are longer than 2 inches, they are not roundworms, and probably are not from inside her.

Rebeccavet :

If you get a vet to come out, he or she could identify the worms for you.

Rebeccavet :

And tell you if they came from her or not.

Customer:

ok thank you so much

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome. Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Rebeccavet :

If so, please ask.

Rebeccavet :

If not, please consider accepting so the website credits me for my advice.

Rebeccavet :

Good luck with Hennessey.

Rebeccavet :