Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

I think my dog is constipated can I use a glycerin suppository

I think my dog is constipated can I use a glycerin suppository to help him go
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply,

While I cannot diagnose your Chihuahua's condition via the internet I can tell you the following :

You would do no harm in trying the glycerin suppository, they are sometimes used in dogs but my own experience is that they are often not as effective as other measures. Worth a try though ...

If your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a Chihuahua would be up to one ml twice a day given orally, a small syringe which you can also pick up from the chemist would be a great help to administer it with.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one tea spoon twice a day for a dog like yours.

But { and it is a big but } be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider have a vet check your Chihuahua over as further tests may be needed to establish exactly what is going on.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.