Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.

my chihuahua is having puppies right now what do i do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Jenn :

Hi there

Dr. Jenn :

Make sure you have her in a quiet, low lit room in a box with a blanket with a comfortable amount of room.. After she has the pups you can change the box to one where she can get in and out but the pups can not! Is she having any trouble? or seem in distress?

Customer :

she is licking most of the time and will not sit still keeps flipping blankes over her and i put her in a bed and she keeps coming back to the couch

Dr. Jenn :

She will go where she is comfy-however we can not let her have pups on the couch for safety reasons. Maybe if you sit with her in a quiet place like the bathroom or corner of a room she will settle down.

Customer :

I have tried that but she keeps getting up and going back to the couch, i will try it again and see what she does

Customer :

now she is leaking fluids alot!!!

Dr. Jenn :

Her water broke-pups are on the way.

Customer :

omg!!!

Customer :

umm anything i have to do to help her?

Dr. Jenn :

We will have to see what she does after the first pup comes out. Did you have an x ray done so we know how many pups to expect?

Customer :

yes i did she is supposed to be expecting 4, they said she may have complications for being so small and having that many. how do i know if she is having complicationis?

Customer :

she also keeps stretching her head up in the air what does that mean

Dr. Jenn :

discomfort-trying to go with the contractions. She is quite small for that breed. There shoud be a pup every few minutes-up to 2 hours. Howver, if she is pushing and no pup is coming out she NEEDS to get to a vet as one can easily get stuch becoming life threatening-at that point a c section would be needed!!!

Dr. Jenn :

When she gets through this and after the pups are weaned I would have her spayed as she is too old for anymore pups. Do her a favor!

Customer :

how do i know when she is pushing?

Customer :

and yes we planned on that! :) she is actually 6 i mis typed earlier but still besides the point we wanna get her fixed!

Dr. Jenn :

You will see her body trying to push. there will be extra abdominal effort.

Customer :

her stomach is rock hard and she is now spinning in circles and constantely licking herself

Dr. Jenn :

If this behavior continues with no pups coming you may have to bring her in. Hopefully there is an emergency clinic in your area if needed.

Customer :

nope sure isnt the closest one is a hr and a half away

Customer :

how long do i give her with her acting like this?

Customer :

she wont stop licking and i try to get her to lay down and relax and she keeps going bacfk to licking

Dr. Jenn :

It sounds like she is not in active labor just yet-once she goes into labor a pup should be born within an hour.

Dr. Jenn :

What is she doing now?

Customer :

she had one pup but is not disconected from should we cut the cord

Dr. Jenn :

Is the sac off the pup?

Customer :

yes it is we have two pups

Dr. Jenn :

If she does not cut the cord- you can cut it 2 inches from the pup's body. Wipe off the scissors with alcohol before cutting.

Customer :

she isnt attending her puppys

Dr. Jenn :

Put the pups on her nipples they need to nurse right away! This will also help induce the other pups to be born,

Dr. Jenn :

I am going to switch to question/answer format-as the chat is not responding.

Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.
How is she and the pups doing?