Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian

my dog got a steroid shot 2 weeks ago. since then he has been

my dog got a steroid shot 2 weeks ago. since then he has been extremely thirsty, which causes him to urinate frequently. he is also tearing up the trash and dirty towels. at night, he is panting heavily. could these be effects of the cortisone shot?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Absolutely

Dr. K :

This is most likely related to the steroid shot.

Dr. K :

Do you know which type of steroid was given?

Dr. K :

Why was he treated with steroids?

Customer:

the bill said steroids 3 whatever that meant

Dr. K :

That must just be some kind of billing code for their hospital.

Dr. K :

Doesn't really mean anything to me....

Dr. K :

Why was he treated with steroids?

Customer:

he went in for an ear infection and was given zymox for that and i told the vet that he was chewing at his paws and he said it was allergies and gave him a shot without asking

Dr. K :

Do you remember if the shot was milky white in color when it was pulled out of the bottle?

Customer:

i didn't see he gave it to him and then told me what it was

Dr. K :

What you need to find out from the vet's office, is if this was DepoMedrol, or Vetalog...

Customer:

he said it was a combination of 3 types of steroids use to treat pain, swelling, allergies, etc

Dr. K :

DepoMedrol is a long-acting shot that will stay in the animals body for weeks....

Dr. K :

Vetalog is usually gone by 10 days.

Customer:

he said it would stay in for up to 12 weeks

Dr. K :

It is unfortunate that your vet did this without you agreeing. Giving dogs long-acting injectible steroids to treat allergies is not really the greatest...

Dr. K :

Wow...

Dr. K :

That is most unfortunate.

Dr. K :

The side effects you are seeing, are definitely due to the steroids.

Dr. K :

And now there is no way to get them back out.

Customer:

how long will it stay like this, he is acting depressed

Dr. K :

If your dog has allergies ( atopy), then he will likely need to be treated seasonally for this problem through his lifetime...but it should be done differently then this.

Dr. K :

I can't say...I don't know what drug he was given.

Dr. K :

I don't even know of a steroid that lasts 12 weeks...so I am unsure of what your vet actually gave.

Dr. K :

I do recommend that you call this vet and tell him what is going on with your dog.

Customer:

i am asking them now and will let you know what they say

Dr. K :

He is tearing up the trash because he is starving. Steroids make dogs very hungry.

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with him.

Dr. K :

I hope that I have answered your question.

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions regarding this matter, then please click on the "accept."

Customer:

he was given depo-medrol

Dr. K :

Depo-medrol usually lasts 6 weeks.

Dr. K :

When doses appropriately.

Customer:

he was given 3 cc's

Dr. K :

This is not a great way to treat allergies, as repeated use of long-lasting steroids in dogs can cause diabetes.

Customer:

he weighs approx 60lbs

Customer:

this was his first and last shot

Dr. K :

I strongly recommend you ask your vet about much better, and safer, treatments for allergies.

Customer:

with that dosage would he still be panting hard at night

Dr. K :

The amount he was given is the usual dose for a dog of his size.

Dr. K :

But these side effects are "normal" for steroids.

Dr. K :

Unfortunately, you can't do much to stop them, until the drug wears off.

Dr. K :

So sorry that you are going through this...

Customer:

thank you so much for all your help you have really made me feel better my dog is my baby so thank you

Dr. K :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

i wish i could get this service with my vet face to face

Customer:

have a good day

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, please click on the "accept". Bonuses are always appreciated. ;-)

Dr. K :

You have a great day as well!

Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian