How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Denver ER Doc Your Own Question
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1478
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Denver ER Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What should I do if my dog eats raisins

Resolved Question:

What should I do if my dog eats raisins
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,


How long ago did he eat them? And how many did he eat?



Dr. Paul


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He ate half a large bag of raisins yesterday around 4pm GMT.
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 5 years ago.

OK, thanks for the information.


Raisins are not always toxic to dogs, and there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to which ones and how many might cause a problem. We still don't know what the actual poison involved is.


When they do cause a problem, however, it is very serious. Ingestion can lead to kidney failure.


Since your dog is showing signs of toxicosis (vomiting and diarrhea), you need to get him checked out as soon as possible to have his kidney values checked. He may require aggressive IV fluid therapy for his kidneys to recover if they are compromised. I would get him in as soon as you can, since both of those signs can indicate a big problem with raisins.


Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.



Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc and 4 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you