petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

MY 8YEAR OLD COCKER SPANIEL WAS DIAGNOSED WITH KIDNEY DISEASE

MY 8YEAR OLD COCKER SPANIEL WAS DIAGNOSED WITH KIDNEY DISEASE A FEW MONTHS AGO, SHE IS GETTING VERY THIN NOW, BEING SICK, WITH FRESH BLOOD, ALSO HER STOOLS ARE BLACK SOFT AND TARRY BLACK, SHE DOESNT SHOW MUCH INTEREST NOW ABOUT GOING FOR HER WALKS AND SLEEPS MOST OF THE TIME, HER BACK END IS WEAK AND SOMETIMES FALLS OVER TO THE SIDE. SHE DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY,WE LOVE BONNIE,BUT WE CANT STAND TO WATCH HER LOSE A LITTLE MORE DIGNITY EVERY DAY WOULD DO YOU THINK NOW IS THE TIME TO PUT HER TO SLEEP, BEFORE SHE SUFFERS ANY MORE REGARDS HELEN
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 years ago.

Dr Z :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr Z :

Is she vomiting blood? And her stools are black and tarry?

Dr Z :

How long has this been going on?

Dr Z :

Is she on any medications?

Customer:

yes going on for three months, no meds

Customer:

yes she is vomiting blood through the sick, her stools are black and tarry, no meds

Dr Z :

It sounds as if she may be experiencing gastric ulcers, which can occur as gastric acid builds up in the stomach due to the kidney failure.

Dr Z :

There are meds to help that your vet can prescribe.

Dr Z :

But if her kidney failure has progressed rapidly, it may not be very effective in providing a good quality of life for her.

Dr Z :

What I would suggest is to have your vet at least examine her and recheck her kidney values.

Customer:

sso at this time, ypu dont think my dogn eeds to be put down

Dr Z :

They will then be better able to discuss options with you as far as treatment and what would be involved or if euthanasia is a more humane choice.

Customer:

thanks i will take her tomorrow, regards helen

Dr Z :

Goos luck with her in this difficult time.

Customer:

thanks