Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my shi tzu is 3 years old and has a limping front leg.xrays

Customer Question

my shi tzu is 3 years old and has a limping front leg.xrays have showed nothing.i gave her glucosamine tablets but no real progress has been made.she limps occassionaly since 5 months now especially after sleep and this msm product anything that will help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose your Shi Tzu's problem via the internet I can make the following general comments :

1. My experience of MSM with my client's dogs is that it is much the same as glucosamine, sometimes it works a bit ... That said this is a very safe type of product so you would do not harm to give it for a two or three week trial and see what happens.

2. I have to say though that at three years of age there has to be some underlying reason or other for her limping so if the MSM is not successful you should persevere with your vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Vet Answers Vet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my vet just said that when she is limping i must lessen the exercise for her and that there is no use of giving her more madicine all the you think that i should do more xrays (as i dd only her limping leg)to see if something else is wrong?could it be arthritis?

Hello again,

Arthritis is possible but would be rare in your dog's age group unless it followed traumatic damage for example. There has to be some underlying reason for this so yes it would be an idea to go for more X-rays perhaps including both front legs and the spine.

Vet Answers Vet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i know you can not make a diagnosis through the internet but what else could be possible for this age group since everything else is fine and does not seem to get worse?is there something you are considering that you could tell me?
Hello again,

Sorry about the delay, I am in a different time zone to you and have just come back online this morning and found your further question.

I have no particular diagnosis in mind but as I said to you before there has to be some disease related underlying condition if a dog of three years of age is limping like that. You would consider spinal problems, arthritis, tendon injuries, things like that, it is difficult to be specific but it certainly warrants more investigation perhaps by a vet with a special interest in orthopedics.

Vet Answers Vet.