Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics

MY DOG ATE CHICKEN BONES AND HAS BEEN VOMITING. aLREADY TOOK

Customer Question

MY DOG ATE CHICKEN BONES AND HAS BEEN VOMITING. aLREADY TOOK HIM TO THE VET AND ALL THEY GAVE ME WAS PROPIOCIN, AND STILL HAS BEEN REALLY SICK AND WONT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING
ANYTHING
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean that they gave you Probiosyn for Buddy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ya that was it probiocin

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

I'm very worried about Buddy. Although many dogs will be able to dissolve and pass chicken bones without a problem, his signs have me concerned. Chicken bones splinter easily, and could cause perforation of his esophagus, stomach, or intestines. He could also have pancreatitis.

I strongly recommend taking him to a vet as soon as possible. If you can get to an emergency clinic tonight, please go. I would start with a physical exam, blood work, and x-ray of his abdomen. Hopefully at this point we will have a diagnosis and be able to begin a treatment plan. He may require surgery.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so what can we do right now because thats the plan for tommorrow because the vet. is closed here

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

If there is any 24 hour clinic in the vicinity, I do recommend taking him there.

Otherwise, do your best to get him to eat some bread and rice. The idea is to give him some bulky soft food to pad any remaining sharp edges on the bones.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if case he does have a bone stuck can we help him get it out! in a way

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In case hevdoes have a bone stuck is there a way we can help him take it out
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I didn't get your question last night. And no, there isn't a good way to help him get a bone out at home. Some vets might advise you to induce vomiting, but it is possible for the bone to get stuck in the esophagus on the way up. This would be even worse.

The only other ways for that bone to come out are:

1. digestion and normal passing in the stool
  2. surgery
  3. endoscopic removal - using a camera to go into the stomach, visualize the bone, and grab it with long forceps to pull it out

I hope he is beginning to feel better.