Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

I have a 3 1/2 pound female chihuahua that we believe is pregnant,

I have a 3 1/2 pound female chihuahua that we believe is pregnant, but we are concerned that she doesn't have the pregnant belly. Her nipples are enlarged and seeping milk, she has become suddenly attatched to me and very aggressive towards other dogs (especially when it comes to food). This was her first heat and she was with the male for 3 days. She would be due around the 14th of February.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Steve O. replied 2 years ago.

Steve O. :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve

Customer:

Hello

Steve O. :

Ok, in small breed dogs it is not uncommon to have only one puppy and they are so small that the pup may just not be big enough to cause a large pregnant looking belly.

Steve O. :

The other possibility is that she may not be pregnant. The enlarged nipples and milk seeping can indicate normal changes before delivery, but in dogs there is a condition called Pseudopregnancy. This is a condition that makes a dog act and think they are pregnant when in fact tehy are not. They can even produce milk and have engorgement of nipples.

Steve O. :

There are two options for you. One is to waituntil February 14th and see if she delivers or not. She could deliver 1-2 days before or after Feb 14th. If she doesn't have puppies by then , you shold have her examined by a vet who can feel her abdomen and see if puppies canbe felt or not. ANother method to determine pregnancy is to have an ultrasound r an x-ray done. These tests coul be done now if you want to know about her pregnant status before Feb 14th.

Steve O. :

Don't try to feel the puppies by yourself because if you are too rough you could rupture something inside the belly. If it turns out that she is pseudopregnant and doesn' t have any puppies, then she wil have to be treated by a vet to stop the pseudopregnancy. You will want to stop the pseudopregnancy if she is , because not treating it could result in a uterine infection.

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so i may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, plese continue

Customer:

Do dogs have "morning sickness"? Baby was throwing up the first couple of weeks after being with the male.

Steve O. :

The hormone changes after the heat cycle can caus a mild nausea that results in vomiting. It usually stops on its own after the dog has become used to the hormone changes.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help.

Steve O. :

you are welcome and I hope she has a puppy in there for you

Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience